Well, I just invited 20,000+ strangers to a picnic.
If you haven’t heard of it, The Listserve is an amazing experiment out of ITP where one person a day from the list is chosen to send one email out to everybody. I got picked a couple days ago.
Most of the time, people tell stories or give life advice or share recipes. I thought it’d be interesting to take it beyond the screen and bring it into a different medium: PICNICS.
Here’s what I wrote:
My name is Nicole. I live in Brooklyn, NY, work at Kickstarter, and I like knitting, tiny instruments, and avocados. I’m interested in internet communities, but what really tickles me is bridging that terrifying gap between cyberspace and meatspace.
So, let’s try something.
On Sunday, August 26th at 1 pm EST, I am going to be at the following coordinates:
(Note: If you’re using an iPhone, Google Maps does a weird thing where sometimes it shows you an incorrect pin on a path nearby, which isn’t the right place, but it should show the correct pin on a computer. If it looks like it’s in the middle of nowhere, it’s correct. Email me for details. Or leave it up to fate.)
I will bring a blanket, a kite, a ukulele, and food. You will be there too, bringing your friends, your dogs, your friends’ dogs, cookies, napkins, instruments, brown-bagged beer, and anything or anyone else you’d like. It’s entirely possible that it’ll just be you and me, sitting awkwardly around a bowl of browning guacamole. Or maybe it’ll be you and me and 20,915 of our closest internet friends. Who knows?
I have a mole under my eye and I’ll be wearing red.
See you soon.
I’ve gotten about 80 emails in 30 minutes, so it seems like it won’t just be me and a couple friends knitting under a tree. (I’ll try to respond to everyone, but it’ll probably take me a bit!)
And since I’ve already invited most of the internet, I think I should take this opportunity to invite everyone to this thing, even if you aren’t on The Listserve. You too. I’m inviting you.
As for more verbal directions to getting to those coordinates, here they are: if you enter Prospect Park from Grand Army Plaza, you’ll see a huge field. Walk across the field until you see a line of trees on a hill. I’ll be there with a picnic blanket I just ordered on Amazon.
So, see you Sunday, internet?
I got this email this morning and was very excited to see this.
Thank you God for the Internet
- blocodeespantamentos likes this
- joeyjoseph likes this
- kyuubeymon reblogged this from discoverynews
- chelceedandan reblogged this from discoverynews
- hypnoticleisure reblogged this from discoverynews
- othertimallen likes this
- psybird likes this
- awoooo reblogged this from benlikestotumblr
- benlikestotumblr reblogged this from avatar-juan
- pagesofarandomrambler reblogged this from j-lion and added:
- worsethandetroit likes this
- j-lion reblogged this from discoverynews
- halcy reblogged this from deltamualpha and added:
- duckeenobody reblogged this from discoverynews
- deltamualpha reblogged this from rachelfershleiser and added:
- vnemana likes this
- that-guy-james likes this
- arizonadakota likes this
- aztayrocks likes this
- hindutimes answered: it would be sooo much fun.. but I’m in Mexico, so it’s kind of impossible to me and my wife go over there, but… have fun!!
- thedeaddog reblogged this from discoverynews
- sweetessenseoasis reblogged this from discoverynews
- seanaes likes this
- duendecillita reblogged this from humanthesaurus
- freesynapsemaps likes this
- freesynapsemaps reblogged this from rickwebb and added:
- dontoverthink likes this
- etalex likes this
- kimgorenko likes this
- mattoo likes this
- daddielee likes this
- cat-mouf reblogged this from discoverynews
- andibitti answered: can’t go charlotte nc.:(
- deenikee likes this
- perpetually-dreaming likes this
- carrythatwait likes this
- ambarkanta likes this
- dianneohdeer answered: oh man i wanna go
- quotingmyheart reblogged this from discoverynews
- ayweezil answered: LOOL COOL
- bphan likes this
- theeyesinthenight reblogged this from anthimeriate and added:
- sronti likes this
- slang-king answered: once the weather improves this could mean an event of epic proportions coming to an Auckland park or beach
- thederpadventures likes this
- spazolot reblogged this from discoverynews
- leilamikal reblogged this from discoverynews